The History of the Institute
The Institute for East and Southeast European Studies (IOS) was founded on January 1, 2012. Its history, however, stretches back much further to its two predecessor institutions, which were both originally based in Munich, namely, the Institute for Southeast European Studies (SOI), founded in 1930, and the Institute for East European Studies (OEI), founded in 1952.
Both institutions existed independently of each other for a long time. The years from 2007 until their amalgamation was something of a transitional phase, during which the two institutions began to cooperate increasingly closely under one roof at their new, joint location in Regensburg. The history of each of the two institutes until 2007 will therefore be considered separately. Please click on the following links for more information.